Hello and Welcome To Homesteading for Women!

This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.

Welcome to my new blog!

Hello! Michelle here! Let me first say how happy I am to be writing this blog and getting back to my roots and living a simple life again. Growing up in Southern Indiana in the 70’s, my grandparents grew all their our food, well most of it anyway. They had two very large gardens and grew a multitude of yummy things. Corn, tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, peas, lettuce, cabbage and onions were the main crops. Grandma had a wonderful flower garden as well.

Homesteading for women welcomeMy Goal with This Blog

My goal with this blog is to get back to my roots and make my little slice of heaven in the forest become more of a modern homestead. If you would like to read more about me you can on this page.

Learning to preserve my own food from the garden, like canning and making jelly from strawberries. Make my own Herbal RemediesΒ from my herb garden and this time write on the top of the lids so I can remember what I made them for and not on the sides, where they get messed up from the oils so I couldn’t read what they were.

Yep, I did that, had to throw out the whole batch, because I had no idea what I put in the jars. Yah!

I also want to spend more time in our Tiny Cabin in the woods.

Here is my list for 2017, so I can take a look back at this list next year and see how well I did.

JOIN MY LIST AND NEVER MISS ANOTHER BLOG POST!

My Big Plan for 2017

This is my BIG PLAN for this year, see the links as I get things done!

• Fix the chicken cage, the wire fence around the cage is totally falling down, the past owners of the house didn’t dig the holes deep enough for the poles andChicken Coops one fell over. My chickens can now come and go as they please. But they are around 10 years old so they can do what they want. πŸ™‚
  • Get new chickens as stated above my hens are old ladies and choose not to lay anymore in their retirement.
  • I also want to get some chickens for meat. Granny always had plenty of chickens for eggs and eating. I can’t wait to get some new chicks on CHICK DAY at our feed store.
  • Be a much better garden grower and learn to can my veggies this year. I loved to get grannies canned green beans, can’t wait to put up for myself this coming year.
  • Do something about all the weeds that grow up in the flower garden the previous owners built. A couple of years ago I had a run in with a big patch of poison ivy. I was moving some iris plants, that was growing in the edge of the woods. I wanted them by the house. Stupid mistake. I should have got my book out to see what was poison ivy and what wasn’t. I know what it is now! πŸ™‚ It never bothered me before, but I guess with age things change.
  • Make Extra MoneyΒ I want to make more money this year, I’ve got a lot of things I want to get done. Need a new roof on the house and garage, build a barn for our tractor and campers. Our Heater/Air Conditioner crapped out, so this needs to be fixed before winter. In the meantime, no air conditioner this summer. Yikes!Β

So that’s about it for my big plans this year, like I said we have a Tiny House Rustic Cabin in the woods, that is totally off grid, this will be the third summer and we’ve just about got it finished on the inside. We would like to add solar panels this year to it. I’ll be sure and give updates on that this year as well.

Related Posts:

Chicken Coop For Baby Chicks

Don’t Feed Chickens This!

Garden Planting Vegetables For Beginners

7 Herbal Books You Must Get First

10 Mistakes I Made With My Goats

Goats Got the Boot

10 Mistakes I made with my goats

We did the Goat thing, but it didn’t work out. I got rid of the goats last year, they were very destructive so I won’t be getting any more of those buggers…Not for a while anyway. πŸ˜‰

They were super cute but they peeled Β a bunch of our cedar trees. Goats need a very good fence or you’re going to wake up to something being eaten. They really loved my rose bush, it never had flowers the years I had my goats.

They would run from the cage to that bush every time we let them out, trying to keep them from peeling the cedar trees.

I’m thinking the chickens will be much better and maybe some rabbits later in the year.

Start A Side Business To Supplement Your Homestead

As you’ve already read. I’m an entrepreneur I’ve been self employed for most of my adult life. I’ve done everything from making stained glass windows for the Governor of Indiana to Raising Bugs for a living. I know how to make a quick buck or two. I’ve started my 100 ways to Make Extra Money page, that I’ll be adding to over time of all the things you can do to make extra money.

Getting a side business started will set you on the path to being able to live the life I live. Out in the country with my animals and not having to work a so called Real JOB! Oh I still work but in my “Fat Pants”. πŸ˜‰

1. Raise Mealworms for your chickens and then sell some to your local pet shops or sell them online. It is super easy to do and you don’t need but to buy one batch of worms for about $5. Put them in a bucket and forget about them. Easy!
  2. Raise Meat Rabbits. I’ve not done this YET! I’ve had my share of rabbits and the last ones had really long angora hair. They were Beautiful! But I still remember cleaning up the cages, so can’t get any yet. πŸ™‚
  3. Raise Crickets, this is what we did for over 20 plus years and we made really great money doing it. Later this year I’ll give a little tutorial if anyone is interested.
  4. Raise and Sell chickens for meat and or the baby chicks. I read someplace that one homestead makes $1000 a month selling her baby chicks. Pretty cool! Might have to look into that now that I have all my new Baby Chicks!
  5. Grow a Garden and sell your fresh veggies and herbs at the Farmers Market. You could also sell your chicken eggs.
  6. Start a blog! That’s what I’m doing here and I have aΒ 5 Day Start A Blog Course to get you started if you’re interested.
  7. Sell Your Old Stuff on eBay! That’s what I’ve been doing for the past 6 years, selling full time on eBay.

If any of this sounds like fun and you would like to jump in and do some Homesteading with me. Please comment below and tell me your plans and be sure to sign up for my weekly newsletter. I’m also giving away a FREE 10 day herb garden eCourse with your subscription! I’ll see you on the inside!

Happy Homesteading,

Homesteading for women MichelleMichelle

Homesteading For Women

FREE Herb Garden 10 Day E-Course!

Easy_herb_gardening_beginners_guide

Have you always dreamed of having your own herb garden but not sure where to begin? I'm offering my beginner Herb Garden eCourse for FREE! Only for a limited time!

22 comments for “Hello and Welcome To Homesteading for Women!

1. Robin Phillips
    August 16, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Hello, I love your chickens. They are pretty. I however will be homesteading without animals. So just call me a gardner. LOL My husband has recently been diagnosed with Lupus and we are looking to live a much simpler life style, eat as healthy as possible and be as self sufficient as possible. You blog is beautiful and I look forward to reading more.

• Michelle
      August 17, 2017 at 5:58 am

Hi Robin,
      Thanks so much! Good luck with your new venture and sorry for your husband’s health. I know for me living out in the country always makes me feel better and who knows you might decide to get some chickens if for nothing else than to get farm fresh eggs. Which are so awesome and I can’t wait until my silkies are big enough to lay some. Thanks for stopping by!
      Michelle πŸ™‚

2. Joyce Jenkins
    August 10, 2017 at 5:30 am

Hey Michelle. I started my homesteading journey about a year ago. Ive just purchased a double wide mobile home (it’s a fixer upper) and im really excited about getting started on it

My plans are to raise chickens and sell eggs, grow and sell fresh eggs, and sell my wood work. I dabble in a lot of crafts including jelly making, jewelry making, and repurposing stuff.

So glad that I found your blog. Good to know that there are other homesteading beginners like myself. I will be reopening my blog in a few months now that I have the actual homestead in place.

• Michelle
      August 10, 2017 at 7:47 am

Hi Joyce, I’m glad you found me too! I’ve also found that you can sell baby chicks really easily all year long. Most people grab them up at the sale barn I go to and on Facebook. Good luck in your adventure!!
      Michelle πŸ™‚

3. Marla
    July 12, 2017 at 12:45 am

I forgot to post this and I thought it might be helpful to those of you who have chickens. When we lived in Florida a lady I worked with Bonnie told me this idea and I thought if i ever had chickens I’d try and do it her way. Build your chicken coop in the middle of an area and then put three doors in it. The doors on each side will have like a doggy door to allow the chickens to come and go as they please and give you access to your garden. Do an enclosure on each side and don’t forget the top as we have predatory birds here. Rotate each season which side the chickens are in. So this year chicks are on right side plant garden on left side. The next season flip them and you already have a tilled and fertilized area for your garden. So simple but fantastic. The chicks dig the fertilizer in for you. Try it she got the biggest veggies I’ve ever seen.

• Michelle
      July 12, 2017 at 6:28 am

Hi Maria, I love this idea! I’m totally going to give it a try with some of my chickens.
      Michelle πŸ™‚

4. Marla
    July 12, 2017 at 12:33 am

Love your blog. First time commenting on any blog. I’d love to homestead. But my hubby has health issues so I do most of the extra stuff. We live in a small town of about 10k and I commute half hour to work. I started a community garden at work 8 years ago and have a decent sized yard. My grapes are going crazy as I need to build an arbor. We got our first blackberries this year. I have tomatoes squash cucumbers herbs cherry apple and pluots in the tree area. Everything is set to drip. Thank goodness. My parents used to have an 11 acre ranch I miss the peace and quiet but its nearly impossible if you work outside the home. Its nice to dream and maybe in retirement and I applaud all of you. Fernley. Nevada

• Michelle
      July 12, 2017 at 6:27 am

Hi Maria,
      So Glad you found me! And Thank you! I’m kinda winging it. BTW I LOVE Nevada, me and hubs spend two months out in our RV traveling from Indiana to Reno following Antique bottle shows. Hubs is a collector. I worry if hubs gets sick if I could take care of this place. At least we don’t have the cricket business anymore and we do have a nice new mower that will hopefully outlast me. πŸ™‚ I hate mowing! Congrats on all that you have accomplished and the drip system in place is on our list next year. And fixing a better fence to keep out that darn rabbit that keeps snipping off my beans! We had a big patch of blackberries but hubs mowed them down this year. Will have to wait a couple years again for those to come back. Chicken tip is amazing! Our fence was down for a while this year. I’m so surprised they didn’t get eaten by coyotes someone must have thinned them down. But I did notice how happy my old chickens were and every time I came outside they would come running. The big dog kept them off the back porch which was great. We are going to build them a new chicken house this fall I’ll have to tell hubs about that idea, so awesome! Be sure to join my facebook group, the link is below. Would love to hear more. Michelle πŸ™‚

5. Sheryl
    July 9, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Happy to find this! My husband and I are getting our ranch ready for the market next year hoping to buy a farm house. I want bees and chickens. I was thinking goats but not sure. We have three boys under the age of five all of a sudden I realized one day I was watching them on tablets in front of the TV and my heart just sank we decided we needed a life change for them. I’m excited to give them land to watch them work for the things that we eat and to take care of the animals this is become our dream for our family.

• Michelle
      July 9, 2017 at 5:48 pm

Hi Sheryl, We were in the same situation years ago when our boys were little. All they did was play video games all day. When we moved out in the country they didn’t know what to do with themselves and would stand looking in the window at me. Lol! That soon changed, building forts in the woods, swimming in the pond when it wasn’t warm enough to swim yet, fishing in the pond and then running to the house to get me to help them take the fish off the hook, only to find out that they didn’t secure the pole and it went into the pond.lol! We have wonderful memories of the boys growing up out in the country. My youngest who will turn 30 next week just told me how much he misses the quiet and will often ask to stay in the cabin for a few days to unwind. You will be so happy moving your family to a farm. I’m seeing many fun 4-H projects in your future. πŸ™‚ Michelle

6. Lee
    June 7, 2017 at 7:59 pm

This is so unlike me to make a comment. But I stumbled here and you made the request so…
    We’ve just bought a farm outside of a new city that we’ve moved to for my husband’s work. I was just getting off mat leave so for the time being I’ve decided to stay home. It’s good but I feel so useless. I can’t seem to mom my 2 year old and get into homesteading. Everything’s been focused on the 29 chicks right now and the garden still needs to be prepped. My seedlings really need to get out into the ground. And I’ve missed starting lots of veggies I’d like to have. This will be our first summer and I feel so incredibly behind, but I just never seem to have the energy to get things done after the little one’s in bed.
    Well, that ended up being a lot more whiny then I intended. Oh well. So I guess the answer is yes, I’d like to jump in, guess I’m just wishing I could swim more instead of feeling like I’m treading water all the time!

• Michelle
      June 8, 2017 at 5:52 am

Hey Lee,
      So glad you found me! Don’t worry! Last year we didn’t even have a garden. It rained too much. And you’ve got a two year old. Just enjoy that kid and the outdoors. Just plant one thing in a container. Doesn’t matter if it works out or not. Head to the farmers market and grab some fresh veggies. You have a lot of chicks to take care of, so you’re doing Great! I just opened a private facebook group, head over and join. I’ll help you feel more like treading water.
      Big ((Hugs)):-)
      Michelle

7. Amanda
    May 16, 2017 at 2:59 pm

We’re a vegan family of 5 and we up and decided to start growing all of our own fruits and veggies! All my starts are flourishing inside, and now I’m just trying to prep the garden bed out back. I live in the city. So we don’t have a ton of space, but it’ll be a good 12×12 garden to grow the basics. πŸ˜‰ Onions, tomatoes, purple carrots, green beans, sugar snap peas, cilantro, jalapeΓ±os, cucumbers, and green onions! My question is: how do you prep your garden bed if it’s in the ground? We want to do raised beds but I want to make sure I can find my green thumb first! Haha. We have all the jars and pressure cookers to can our own foods, but I just need things to grow first! πŸ™‚

• Michelle
      May 16, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Hey Amanda,
      Glad you found me! The ground needs to be tilled or dug up. If this is the first year of gardening. I would just start with a couple things first. Like cherry tomatoes. Those are easy and will grow just about anyplace. You can even put them in a container, and they come back each year. No matter if you want them too or not. Purple carrots sound fun. We grew all purple one year and the purple tomatoes tasted like soap. That scared me away from purple. lol! Tomatoes would be a really great start and then you can make salsa! Can tomatoes for chili are the best. Grandma canned them. I want to try canning this year for sure. We are putting out our garden tomorrow, hubs is turning over the ground in a little plot we have by the house and we have our bathtub gardens mostly planted and a raised bed that we’ve not had anything in yet. Can’t wait to eat my first tomato of the year. You just can’t buy them like you can grow them, the taste is out of this world. My favorite thing to eat is tomato sandwiches in the summer.
      Michelle πŸ™‚

8. Meagan
    May 16, 2017 at 11:42 am

I’m glad I found this blog! I live in a town house in the city, so no livestock for me! My big ambition is to prepare for my eventual migration into the country. I’m building my own raised garden so we can have our own produce and if I do well I can can (haha) for the winter! I’m also going to grow strawberries for jams πŸ™‚ I can’t do much, but while I’m waiting I might as well get decent at something I CAN do around here!

• Michelle
      May 16, 2017 at 11:49 am

Hey Meagan,
      I’m glad you did too! I had a friend along time ago that had a townhouse and her garden was in the back of the house in raised beds too!, She even sneaked in a couple tomato plants in the front. No one made her move them. Ha ha! I’m a small time garden grower. I love to use my bathtubs to grow tomatoes, yellow squash, green peppers and carrots. This year we are growing green beans in the garden spot. We didn’t even have a garden last year. Hey crop rotation! That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it! I would love to make some jam this year, strawberries are my favorite!
      Michelle πŸ™‚

9. Andrea Burpee
    May 16, 2017 at 10:40 am

Recently overheard my husband tell a friend, she (me) could live offgrid. Thats the greatest compliment ive ever received! Homesteading has always been a dream of mine. And your blog is great! I’ll keep following and hope to implement some of your ideas.

• Michelle
      May 16, 2017 at 10:48 am

Hey Andrea,
      Glad you found my blog! I love it when men realize we are tougher than most think!
      Michelle πŸ™‚

10. April 21, 2017 at 7:50 pm

What an adventure for you so far! I am a city girl that just moved to the country and boy oh boy is it fun. We have a lot to learn but we’re raising chickens and gardening a bit so far. I love canning and preserving, all very new to me. We have 7 chickens, 4 are laying, and we have a big bird delivery coming up in a month! We ordering all these guinea chicks and peacock/peafowl chicks. We’ll probably be in over our heads because we both still have jobs, but it should be fun! How’s the gardening going for you? We have poison ivy in our garden and we have weeds the size of small trees…I can’t keep up. So I decided to do some patio container gardening until I learn enough about it. We do have several fruit trees, wild berries, also asparagus just planted. We’ve been lucky enough to get lots of cherries and wild berries the past year, but those were here when we bought the house. Hoping to get blueberries, apples, and pears this year! I’ve had bad luck with tomatoes because of fungus (we live in the woods), but peppers, lettuce, and herbs are going well. Wish me luck! Talk soon.

• Michelle
      May 6, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Hey Marisa,
      Chickens are so fun, good luck with your new crew! I had a run in with poison ivy and for a couple years I wouldn’t weed anything. lol! My house looked like a jungle. But this year I started early and am very careful about what I touch. I hope to can some strawberry jelly this year. Thanks for stopping by! Michelle πŸ™‚

11. Kris
    April 12, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Hi Michelle, I have put 3 cabins and a pole barn in the woods. First two years got one cabin done and decided closet to small so built a small apartment inside pole barn with a larger closet. Under my completed cabin I had a bunker put in first for storms with a French well in case of extended stay down there. I do have solar. Right now have only the sump plugged into it and also have electric. Wood stoves are in each of the cabins and Lp gas in the polebarn. I started chickens right away. Now I sell the eggs. I will never go back to store bought. First year had trouble with varmints killing them. Now have put a fence on top and 2 large dogs. Do not have problems now. I also learned to boil my eggs for 20 minutes due to the thicker shell. Also I learned to put baking soda in the pot of boiling eggs to peel easier. Fresh eggs are terrible to peel. I love it here in the woods. I plan on renting cabins to hunters and fisherman in the near future. Because of the rabbits I have had a hard time growing a garden plus living in the woods do not help either. Slowly am clearing out cedars that I take to saw mill for walls. Name of my place is Cedar Cabins. But in doing so is opening up dun room for my garden. I am learning as I go. I am 65 and last year met a guy with the same likes. So he is here with me now helping pitch in.

• Michelle
      April 13, 2017 at 12:07 pm

Hey Kristine,
      That is so awesome!! That’s what we have planned is to rent out our cabins. We did that on the other farm for years getting quite a bit of money for opening days. This one is taking longer than we thought it would, guess getting older is slowing us down some, but we do have plans to build another one just for hunters. We lost a bunch of chickens at first too. Then we got our big dog like you, no more problems. Mostly! Our place is full of cedar too. So Proud of your accomplishments, please share some pictures on my facebook page. I would love that! Thanks so much for commenting, please keep us informed on what you’re doing!
      Michelle πŸ™‚